Monday 7 November 2016

Buying the same garment again and again

Do you do this? Over the past twenty years I must've bought a dozen denim skirts. Summery, full chambray ones, vintage 70s pencil ones, high-waisted, A-line, midi, you name it. There are some items of clothing I'm always drawn to (I'm guilty of reaching for the mum uniform of breton top, jeans and Converse far too often) for their comfort and the way they make me see myself. Here are a few.

Sheer tops! For layering over long-sleeved tees, thermal tops (bear with me), under dresses and jumpers. They add detail and a layer without adding bulk. This one (from Dorothy Perkins) has the added bonus of little tufts all over it, and the loose, drapey cut of a T-shirt.
Light chambray denim skirt in Spain, with a loose tunic top (tucked in) and big belt. Any more of these pastries and the belt can come off and the tunic be untucked.

When my vintage 60s dress matched the moquette of a Routemaster. Life goal = achieved. I buy brightly patterned 60s and 70s dresses again and again. They're such an easy outfit, and usually don't even need accessories to make them sing. Black tights, footwear, bag, dress - done. 


A couple of years ago I was honoured to be a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding. This pale blue tulle dress, with grey and pink under-layers, was perfect. The draped neckline, ruching and full skirt were fifties perfection. It was from Etsy, and under £50 I think, a bargain for a true vintage prom dress.

Holiday uniform. T-shirt + gold necklace + bright bag + hat and sunglasses. 99% sure I'm wearing jeans and Saltwater sandals or Keds too. Choosing a few bright accessories and keeping separates neutral (white, black, navy, grey, denim, stripes, leopard print) means that everything goes together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment